Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2007 15:38:30 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, wodfer@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: Live video streaming on FreeBSD?

Andreas Widerøe Andersen wrote:
 > I'm looking for a way to stream live video on FreeBSD (streamingserver and
 > encoder or either).
 >
 > I have previously used Windows Media Server and Encoder quite a lot, but I
 > try to run as much as possible on FreeBSD. My question would be, is there
 > a streaming server and possibly an encoder available for FreeBSD that will
 > stream live video that is compatible with most mediaplayers (for Windows,
 > Mac and Linux desktops)?
 >
 > Any help or directions are very much appreciated.

ffmpeg and vlc come to mind.  Both can be used as streaming
servers, and ffmpeg has pretty good encoding capabilities.

Other than that, I suggest you use a Ports search engine.
For example, this should give you a few results to play with:

http://www.secnetix.de/tools/porgle/?w=ncd&q=video+stream+server

Best regards
   Oliver