Date:      Tue, 8 May 2007 08:43:38 -0500
From:      Lane <lane@joeandlane.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rough go moving from 5.4-RELEASE to 6.X

On Monday 07 May 2007 20:58, RW wrote:
> On Mon, 7 May 2007 20:07:09 -0500
>
> Lane <lane@joeandlane.com> wrote:
> > I'm trying to upgrade from 5.4 to ANYTHING and I'm confounded by
> >
> > I've tried with (in /etc/cvsupfile)  "tag=" each of RELENG_5,
> > RELENG_5_5, RELENG_6, and several others.  It even fails when I try
> > to just get the source to RELENG_5_4.
>
> Did you check UPDATING to see that you actually had the source
> for  RELENG_5_4?

Yes.  I can cvsup or "make update" to any valid release.  I can verify this
by, as I mentioned, wiping out /usr/src and then running cvsup.

> Have you tried using an empty make.conf file?

Yes.  Build still fails.

I can

make buildkernel
make installkernel

and reboot into 5.4, 5.5, 6.0, 6.1 or 6.2

The errors occur only when I use

make buildworld

There is this note in /usr/src/UPDATING, which I am currently tracking as the
root of my problems.  However it is a bit of a stretch since I built this
system AFTER 7/2004 ... still ... it may be the root ... But then that
doesn't explain why the kernel installs ... UGH!  I'm weary ...

20040728:
        System compiler has been upgraded to GCC 3.4.2-pre. As with any major
        compiler upgrade, there are several issues to be aware of. GCC 3.4.x
        has broken C++ ABI compatibility with previous releases yet again
        and users will have to rebuild all their C++ programs with the new
        compiler. A new unit-at-a-time optimization mode, which is default
        in this compiler release, is more aggressive in removing unused
        static symbols. This is the likely cause of 'make buildworld'
        breakages with non-default CFLAGS where optimization level is set
        to -O2 or higher.

        With the upgrade of the system compiler, the kernel has been upgraded
        to match the new system compiler.  This makes it impossible to build
        a new kernel with the old compiler.  Upgrade your system via
        make buildworld and make kernel (see below) to fix this problem.

Thanks for taking a look.

lane