Date:      Thu, 16 Feb 2012 13:38:04 +0100
From:      Nikola =?utf-8?B?UGF2bG92acSH?= <nzp@riseup.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [OT] Build deps caching (was: How to prevent gam_server from running?)

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 08:00:28AM +0000, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 16/02/2012 02:44, Nikola Pavlović wrote:
> > (Yes some of the stuff in that list can be
> > weeded out with pkg_cutleaves but they end coming back as build
> > dependencies of other stuff that I do need).
>
> You know that portmaster(8) has the capability to delete build-only
> dependencies?  If you create packages of everything you build, the
> effect can be that portmaster will just install the build dependency as
> required for updates.

I now realize my algorithm for reading man portmaster was all wrong. :)
When I started using FreeBSD I decided to not use packages, so I always
disregarded all options dealing with them, and never made the connection
between delete-build-only and local package caching.

> Add this in portmaster.rc to do the deletion of build-only dependencies:
>
> PM_DEL_BUILD_ONLY=pw_dbo

I assume this is a typo, it should be 'pm_dbo'?

> These will keep a cache of any packages you build, and use that cache
> preferentially to reinstall anything (which is also really handy if
> you've got a bunch of machines that can all share the same cache):
>
> MAKE_PACKAGE=gopt
> PM_PACKAGES=first
> LOCAL_PACKAGEDIR=/usr/ports/packages
> PM_PACKAGES_LOCAL=pmp_local

Skimming through the man page and getopts part of portmaster I don't see
a way to exclude some build-deps from being uninstalled.  Am I missing
something?  I'm not sure ATM, but there could be some of them that are
only ever build dependencies but which I want to keep installed for whatever
reason.

Anyway, thanks a lot for pointing this out, it's a really handy feature!

--
There is a 20% chance of tomorrow.