Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:50:33 -0500
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Taulant Galimuna <taulant@ipko.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Portage tree

Taulant Galimuna wrote:

>Hi people,
>I just wanted to ask you if there's a command to update the portage tree ?
>becouse I saw qmail on the freebsd.org web and when I connect with
>/stand/sysinstall it doesn't show it?!
>
>regards,
>Taulant

It's probably that there isn't a *package* for
qmail (but I'm just guessing, haven't checked.)
The *port* is in /usr/ports/mail.

I'd recommend installing cvsup-without-gui,
which /stand/sysinstall should be able to find
easily, as there is a package for that.  I just
put it on one back a week or so ago via sysinstall.

After that, you just need a supfile (there is
one pre-written in /usr/share/examples/cvsup/,
you just pick the closest server and type it in...)
and the command:

$cvsup /path/to/my-ports-supfile

It will update your local ports tree, and
then it's a matter of:

$cd /usr/ports/mail/qmail
$make install clean

and the rest is automagic.

BTW, welcome to FreeBSD!  Feel
free to post questions to the questions
list; occasionally people come on to remind
us that this is just supposed to be a 'newbie'
hangout ... chat about the OS, etc.

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey