Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2019 14:53:41 -0700
From:      Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
To:        Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Limiting the size of syslogd output files using options in syslog.conf

You can pipe any syslog facility to a program. My /etc/syslog.conf has

auth.*;authpriv.*       |/usr/local/bin/authlog

because I do some processing, but also rate-limiting and alerting, before
writing to /var/log/auth.log

You could just as easily write

auth.*;authpriv.*       | fifolog_writer /var/log/auth.fifolog

Again, I object to modifying syslogd to add a feature that already exists
in the modular framework of pipes and utilities and specialized tools like
fifolog.

=E2=80=93 M