Date:      Fri, 30 Sep 2005 11:46:37 -0600
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Mike Hunter <mhunter@ack.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Java (jdk1.5) woes with firefox (1.0.6) and opera (8.5)

Hi Mike,

On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 10:10:37AM -0700, Mike Hunter wrote:
> On Sep 29, "Greg Lewis" wrote:
> > Out of interest, what is the Java path you are telling Opera to use?  I
> > tried this quickly last night on my 4.11 box.  Opera appeared to recognise
> > the Java path (although I thought it was a little odd myself).  When I
> > browsed to an applet it appeared to think about doing something for around
> > 30 seconds but didn't end up showing the applet (no error messages though).
>
> (I don't have access to my Fbsd desktop right now, but the way I remember
> it...) I told it "/usr/local/jdk15" and opera asked "you said
> /usr/local/jdk15, did you really mean /usr/local/jdk15/i386/blah?" and I
> said yes and it said "/usr/local/jdk15/i386/blah has been validated!"

Ok, thats what basically happened with me too.  Unfortunately this meant
that it couldn't find libhpi.so, but I changed my LD_LIBRARY_PATH so it
could be found and that it got it to try to work.

I still suspect you need a 4.x box to even get that far though.

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org