Date:      Wed, 09 Dec 1998 16:38:12 -0800
From:      Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>
To:        spork <spork@super-g.com>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>, FreeBSD-Hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mousen

Today I just purchase a brand new Logitech Marble Mouse for $40.  They
make three series of Marble-based trackballs, and despite the name,
this is the cheapest.  Plugged it in to the PS/2 port, and it works
beautifully.

The Marble design is neat in that it tracks the motion of the ball
entirely optically.  There are no bearings to gum up.  The ball itself
is red with a special dot-pattern to allow the sensor to see the ball's
motion.

The Marble+ design positions the marble to be used by the thumb, which
I don't care for.  The Marble FX design positions the ball to be used
between the thumb and finger, and has 4 buttons on it.  The one I got
is the cheapest, has 2 buttons, and a mid-sized marble right in the
center for use primarily by fingers.  It's closest to the Stingray and
Kensington translucent-blue designs and the only one that lefties can
use.

All are PS/2 mice and come with clever little PS/2<->RS-232 dongles.
Nice.

I've tried trackpads but prefer the kinetic feedback from a physically
moving device.  Your mileage may vary.

	-- Parag