Date:      Wed, 07 Feb 2001 13:56:32 -0800
From:      Jack Rusher <jar@integratus.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>, Zhiui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Design a journalled file system

Terry Lambert wrote:

> Unfortunately, this license means that it can not be distributed
> compiled into a FreeBSD kernel, since clause 6 of the GPL will
> specifically prohibit such distribution.

  I have been wondering about this legal issue lately.  What is the law
with regards to implementing XFS as a KLM for FreeBSD & shipping the
source in contrib?  It won't help people who are trying to make
commercial products with embedded FreeBSD, but it might be useful for
sysadmins.

> point of failure for boot, and therefore the increased MTBF
> that supposedly comes from using an advanced FS does nothing
> for the overall MTBF.

  Mirror the boot partition with vinum?

> I rather suspect that the GPL was intentionally chosen by SGI
> to permit them to jump on the Linux/Open Source bandwagon,
> without exposing them to the risk of a commercial organization
> which competes with SGI being able to benefit from the technology

  This is unquestionably true.  I have word from some of the architects
who helped design XFS that this was exactly the reason GPL was chosen
over the BSD license.

--
Jack Rusher, Senior Engineer | mailto:jar@integratus.com
Integratus, Inc.             | http://www.integratus.com