Date:      Tue, 06 May 1997 21:21:00 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Chris Csanady <ccsanady@nyx.pr.mcs.net>
Cc:        Brandon Gillespie <brandon@cold.org>, FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alpha questions..

> Just out of curiosity, couldn't we use a large part of the NetBSD/alpha
> machine dependant code?  I would think that this would significantly
> speed up a port..

Some of it, but there are other problems.  For one thing, the NetBSD
code requires the SRM console to be installed and everyone now agrees,
for a variety of reasons, that the ARC console is the one to target.
This will affect the boot code rather significantly.

					Jordan

P.S. And if you don't understand the difference between the SRM and
ARC consoles, please don't ask - I don't want to explain it and you
don't want to know. :-)