Date:      Tue, 26 May 1998 17:24:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      jason.axley@attws.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   2.2.6 installation problems creating / slice

I'm just now trying to install FreeBSD 2.2.6 on a 6 gig UDMA drive that
already has several operating systems on it.  I have run into a problem
during the install when I'm supposed to create slices on the freebsd
partition I just created.  If I try to do the Auto configuration
option, I get an error that is something like "unable to create root
partition.  Too big?".  If I try to manually create a root slice (even
specifying the minimum 20M size) I get a similar error that also says
something like "FreeBSD boot code cannot deal with a partition in that
location".

My hard drive has, of course, physically > 1024 cylinders (geometry is
13328/15/63) but is using LBA mode so the translated geometry is
784/255/63 so there shouldn't be a problem booting off of the partition
I created (it starts at translated cylinder 642, or sector 10297665).
I have been booting Solaris x86 off that partition for a while now!

Anyhow, can anyone clue me in on what I need to do to get FreeBSD
installed here and why I'm getting these errors?

BTW, was there a definitive answer on *why* FreeBSD cannot be installed
on a logical partition?  Is this a limitation that applies to all
operating systems because of some BIOS limitation or something or is it
specific to a particular operating system?

Thanks!

-Jason