Date:      Thu, 17 Jan 2013 13:52:41 +0100
From:      Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen@fabiankeil.de>
To:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: absurd I/O perf with ZFS: hangs on zfs->cv)

--Sig_/0qhbqe.9JK+i+Gc+PyWLjzb

Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com> wrote:

> On 15 January 2013 23:57, Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com> wrote:

> > Running FreeBSD 9.1-Release, I am seeing some absurd hangs (10 minutes
> > or more to open a file) with SIGINFO informing me that the process is
> > stuck on zio->io_cv.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions for what I want to look at to tune
> > this?   This is on a newly bought laptop with large amounts of RAM and
> > almost nothing else running.

I don't think there are any laptops with "large amounts of RAM"
as far as ZFS is concerned.

> It is taking me 45 minutes to make 5 commits to git.  Something is
> wrong here but I have no idea what I should be looking at.  Any ideas?

Try sysutils/zfs-stats to get a rough idea of how ZFS is using
the available memory.

If you already followed tuning advice from the Internet without
benchmarking it, try reverting it.

In my experience some of the tunables that helped or at least didn't
hurt with earlier ZFS versions make things significantly worse with
ZFSv28 and later:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2011-March/010860.html

Once you have gathered some more information it might make sense
to ask again on freebsd-fs@.

On a new system it's probably not an issue, but the recommendation
is to keep around 20% of the pool free to keep the performance up.

Fabian

--Sig_/0qhbqe.9JK+i+Gc+PyWLjzb

--Sig_/0qhbqe.9JK+i+Gc+PyWLjzb--