Date:      Wed, 27 Jul 2005 00:36:29 +0200
From:      Torsten Sailer <finalspace@web.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Notebook: Sound is not working (ATI AD1981 AC'97)

Hi,

a friend of me have troubles with his notebook on FreeBSD.
The soundcard is not working with the FreeBSD sound modules :(
"snd_driver.ko" does not found his card.
Of course "device sound" is compiled in the kernel.

It is a Acer Travelmate 2003LM notebook with this soundcard:

pciconf output:

none2@pci0:20:5: class=0x040100 card=0x00521025 chip=0x43411002 rev=0x00
hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'ATI Technologies Inc.'
    device   = 'AD1981 AC'97 Audio Controller'
    class    = multimedia
    subclass = audio

We tryd OpenSoundSystem and it works but OSS is not free and is very
limited (+30 Seconds boottime, etc.).
We tryd FBSD 5.3 and 5.4 Release.

I know the freebsd have a AC97 sound module and i think its only a
matter of a chip id or something to get it working.

If anyone can help him (me), it would be very great.

Thanks,
Finalspace