Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2001 11:10:17 +0200
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>, jaymax@ns.net
Subject:   Re: 2 NIC's, only one seen w/ kernel rebuild

Hi Drew!

On 11 Nov 01 at 16:47 you wrote:

> > From: "Joseph Maxwell" <jaymax@ns.net>
> > device  ed0 at isa? port 0x240 irq 5 iomem 0xd8000
> > device  ed1 at isa? port 0x260 irq 9 iomem 0xd8000
>                                               ^^^^^^^
> Both cards can't use the same memory area.

Strangely enough, I have an old 486dx system in use as a router,
with very similar ed lines (both using the same iomem
address) in kernel configuration file .

The cards I use are not Netgear, they are some noname jumperless
cards from the beginning of '90-s. I have no idea how to find out
or set the actual iomem address of these cards. There is a DOS
setup utility but it only enables to set IRQ and I/O address
(which is seen as 'port' in the lines above).

After I compiled the kernel, neither of the cards worked. Then I
put the following into kernel.conf file:

en ed0
po ed0 0x300
ir ed0 5
iom ed0 0xd8000
f ed0 0
en ed1
po ed1 0x320
ir ed1 10
iom ed1 0xd8000
f ed1 0

After rebooting, the cards started working and I've had no problems
with them since.
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* I take my wife everywhere, but she keeps finding her way back.