Date:      Sat, 6 Dec 2003 16:39:13 -0600
From:      Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   portupgrade tools dying on sparc64

Howdy,

After a recent cvsup, my portupgrade tools no longer appear to work
correctly. Here's the details:

# uname -a
FreeBSD caliban.rospa.ca 5.1-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT #0: Mon Sep 29 16:58:34 CST 2003     toor@caliban.rospa.ca:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CALIBAN sparc64

# cat /usr/local/etc/periodic/weekly/100.cvsup.ports
#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -L2 /usr/local/etc/ports-supfile
(cd /usr/ports && make index)
/usr/local/sbin/portsdb -u

# pkgdb -F
--->  Checking the package registry database

# portversion -vL=
Killed

Of course, there's a long delay between running the command and it
being automatically killed. Running portupgrade (for example,
portupgrade -f portupgrade) results in it being killed as well.

My -STABLE machines (all i386) are handling the same tools fine, even
though they've also cvsup'ed to the latest ports tree.

Is this a known problem? Are there any workarounds?

-T

--
... the most palpable description of bread is that of hunger.
	Tadeusz Rozewicz