Date:      Mon, 3 Aug 1998 10:45:48 +0200
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Odd problems with -current...

As The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> 	I just put in a 2gig Seagate SCSI drive on my system, to replace a
> 2gig IDE drive, and after running for awhile, it *seems* that the drive is
> powering down, cause when I try to access something on that drive after
> leaving for a period of time, you can hear it power back up again.

I have been observing this for drives where the SCSI chain had term
power problems.  ISTR that it's been that more than one device was
driving term power to the bus, and they apparently had some slightly
conflicting idea about the actual term power level or such.  So to be
sure, it's IMHO always the sanest way to just have the host adapter
driving term power, and have all drives leaving the term power line
alone.  This is unfortunately not the shipping state for most disk
drives (i. e., they _do_ feed term power by default).

--
cheers, J"org