Date:      Sat, 9 May 2015 17:16:25 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Claus Andersen <clan@wheel.dk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Unattended install using bsdinstall and ZFS

Hi,

I cannot wrap my head around this: Am able to do an unattended install
using bsdinstall and UFS on 10.1. But I cannot get ZFS to work unattended.
If I set the variables concerning ZFS in the install script they do not
seem to get picked up. If I set them on the command line using export
before I execute the script it only picks up on ZFSBOOT_* but seems to
ignore ZFSINTERACTIVE and ZFS_CONFIRM_LAYOUT

This almost works:
 	# ZFSBOOT_DISKS="da0 da1"
 	# ZFSBOOT_VDEV_TYPE="mirror"
 	# ZFSBOOT_CONFIRM_LAYOUT=0
 	# export ZFSBOOT_DISKS ZFSBOOT_VDEV_TYPE ZFSBOOT_CONFIRM_LAYOUT
 	# bsdinstall script install.txt

But this still gives me the menu "ZFS Configuration". In the menu I can
see that it has picked up ZFSBOOT_DISKS and ZFSBOOT_VDEV_TYPE.

The minimal "install.txt" contains:

 	DISTRIBUTIONS="kernel.txz base.txz"
 	RELEASE="10.1"
 	ZFSINTERACTIVE="NO"

 	#!/bin/sh
 	echo "Installation complete, running in host system"

It seems to ignore ZFSINTERACTIVE. I have tried with 0, "0", "false",
"False", "FALSE". And I have tried going the export route.

I would rather use whatever bsdinstall makes available so I can retire my
current range of DIY scripts.

What is the correct(TM) way of doing unattended install using bsdinstall
and ZFS? Google and the man page was not enough for me - I need a real
human being!

Kind Regards,
Claus Andersen