Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 1996 11:56:32 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@cs.technion.ac.il>
To:        RYAN DARBY <DARBY1@X400.telkom400.inca.za>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dummies guide to freebsd ?

On Wed, 7 Aug 1996, RYAN DARBY wrote:

> Sorry if these questions seem stupid, but I am a novice strugling in
> the dark!
>
> I finally managed to get BSD installed.  I had /usr too small and / too
> big.  Is /usr mentioned in the install the directory /usr as a subdirectory
> of / on the disk?  And is the / in the install /root on the  disk?
Rule 1: If you don't know your way around, use defaults! The installation
program gives defaults to partition sizes that are O.K. for most
single-user stations.

Second, it seems to me you are confusing the directory structure with
filesystems. /usr is a subdirectory of /, but they are (normally) on
different filesystems (partiotions). You can have / on a partition of
about 16-20MB without ever filling it up.

> Also, I get a WARNING : / NOT PROPERLY DISMOUNTED when I boot.  I logout
> and then turn off.  I am running on a standalone PC.  Am I doing something
> wrong to get out of it?
Very wrong! The right way is to use shutdown. To turn off your PC do the
following (after su to root, or logging in as root):
shutdown -h now

> Also, is there perhaps a FAQ or giude to BSD on the internet that is
> intended for total begginers such as myself?  I am battling along in a
> small desert town with nothing but Win95 for 500Km around me!
Well, most of the good stuff is under "Documentation" in
http://www.freebsd.org. Look especially at the Handbook (which you'll
also find installed on your disk at /usr/share/doc) and the Tutorials.

> Thanks very much for your help.  I really do appreciate it.
>
> Yours Faithfully
> Ryan Darby
> PRINCE ALBERT
> South Africa