Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 1997 21:28:43 -0600 (CST)
From:      Daniel Baker <dbaker@pluto.ops.NeoSoft.com>
To:        handy@sag.space.lockheed.com (Brian Handy)
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Freeloading FreeBSD for Free -- NOT!

> >> Good idea.  So what are the frequently asked questions?
> >> (email me and I can start that list).
> >
> >for the moment it'll have to probably be an archive of the list... cause,
> >now that you ask... I just acn't think of any..
>

> 1.  "I've got this great [IPX|IPC|SS2|your old dead slow Sun here] that
>      I want to put FreeBSD on.  What's supported?"
>

> Answer:  The first machines out of the gate are going to be the
> sorta-high-end Ultrasparcs which are expected to drop in price to be
> competetive with the x86 architecture within the next year.  Non-ultra
> platforms will follow later, based most likely on popularity and the
> assistance of the interested user base.

I think the majority of users that will run FreeBSD on their sparc
will _not_ be the users with the higher end boxes, but more likely the
old kludges everyone has lying around doing nothing. I think IPX's,
SS2s, SS5s, etc should be the FIRST supported.

Daniel

--
Daniel Baker -- Network Operations Administrator - NeoSoft, Inc.

dbaker@neosoft.com                      dbaker@neo.net
Phone: +1 713 968 5800                  Fax: +1 713 968 5801