Date:      Mon, 8 Jun 2009 18:10:26 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Glen Barber <glen.j.barber@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: flaw found....

On Mon, Jun 08, 2009 at 08:20:22PM -0400, Glen Barber wrote:
> Gary,
>
> On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 8:15 PM, Gary Kline<kline@thought.org> wrote:
> >        not surprisingly, i found a fla w in my getc(fp) program that
> >        tried to read past "<?" and "?>" ...  the example i added to my
> >        test file was simply the 2 bytes "<" and "?".  so if you have a
> >        stray
> >
> >        "<?"
> >
> >        with a matching close case, the binary hangs on a read.
> >        so, again, can anybody suggest a better example, in C, to get
> >        past two delimiters?
> >
> >        one thought is how gcc parses the "/*" and "*/" comment
> >        delimiters.  any compiler gurus out there who know
> >        where this code is?
> >
> >        gary
> >
> >        ?
> >

> What about having it check a char array, similar to how programs like
> ls(1) does checking for command line arguments?
>
> http://svn.freebsd.org/base/stable/7/bin/ls/ls.c - line 181 and on.

	yes, this is one thing i was thinking about at around 04:30!
	having a pointer to both the beginning and ending of the
	delimiter pair.  if no ending was found, issue a warning and
	error exit.

	FWIW, Google just pointed me at a snippet that showed how to get
	past things like

	"// comments...."

	thankee!

--