Date:      Mon, 11 May 1998 23:03:31 -0400
From:      Marcel Mason <marcel@nunanet.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Fatal Trap

Although this type of question has been asked
before (I've searched the archives) I have been
unable to find an answer for it.

When attempting an install of 2.2.5 on a Compaq
Presario CDS 510 that has a 254 Mb Hard Drive
and 4 Mb RAM. Install is being attempted from
an ATAPI IDE CD-ROM set us as a slave, all work
fine in DOS / Windows 3.x.

I've tried the install both straight from the
CD-ROM as well as by making a boot floppy and
attempting the installation in that manner.

The system starts to boot and then both install
methods result in the following message:

Fatal trap: page fault while in kernel mode
fault virtual address = 0x0
fault code = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer = 0x8:0F018c82d
code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
             = DPL0, pres1, def321, gran1
processor eflag = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
current process = 1(swapper)
interrupt mask = net tty bio
panic: page fault
syncing disks... done
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort

I'm wondering if this may have something to do with
the diagnostic partition that COMPAQ puts on all their
drives interfering with the install process somehow.

Marcel