Date:      Mon, 16 Aug 2004 09:21:59 -0500
From:      doug@polands.org
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>, Mike <addymin@pacbell.net>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to increase scrollback  for FreeBSD-4.10?

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 03:09:30PM +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 06:58:57AM -0700, Mike wrote:
>
> > When I'm on the 4.10 box the scrollback is about 200 lines. If possible
> > I'd like to set the  scroll back to 600 lines or so (at least).
> >
> > Question: How do I increase the scrollback on 4.10?
>
> That depends on the console program you're using.  For an xterm(1),
> the following in ~/.Xdefaults will give you 8k scrollback lines:
>
>     xterm*saveLines:        8192
>
> (Remember to run '/usr/X11R6/bin/xrdb -merge ${HOME}/.Xdefaults' out
> of .xsession or .xinit so that gets set every time you log in)
>
> For the system console, you'll need to play with the syscons(4)
> history size.  Modify your kernel configuration to set
>
>     options SC_HISTORY_SIZE=N
>
> where N is the number of lines of scroll back you want (default 100).
> Then build and install a new kernel in the usual way:

xterm like programs allow the -sl switch lines.  I've had problems with
numbers approaching 32767 but have never nailed down exactly how many
lines I can save.  I safely use -sl 30000 for xterm, rxvt, aterm, and
gnome-terminal.

This would be an excellent topic to include in the fortune file:
freebsd-tips

--
Regards,
Doug