Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 1997 11:52:30 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        A.J.Smith@nortel.co.uk (Andy J. Smith)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cross compiling for FreeBSD 3.0

Andy J. Smith stands accused of saying:

> I have several linux boxes (2.0.30 kernel) and I want to install GCC as a
> cross-compiler so I can produce FreeBSD binaries.  Can anyone help me out
> and give me some info as to home I might do this?

You'll probably actually have quite a lot of trouble with this.  If
you're looking for a single-system development platform that will
allow you to produce both Linux and FreeBSD binaries, you're much
better off running FreeBSD with the Linux binary compatability and
Linux crossdevelopment packages installed.

I use both of these quite heavily, and would be happy to talk you
through getting yourself set up.

> I have limited access to a FreeBSD 3.0 sytem, so if I need libraries,
> header files and includes I could get them that way, but it is a real
> hassle so I'm hoping I don't need too much.

Your biggest problem would be building the toolchain, as the GNU tools
don't correctly support the FreeBSD environment.  (This is only partly
the GNU peoples' fault.)

Let me know if I can help...