Date:      Mon, 22 May 1995 10:57:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        mmead@Glock.COM (matthew c. mead)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Diagnostics for a hanging machine?

> 	The ACM student chapter at Virginia Tech has a FreeBSD machine for
> our members use which I administrate.  Recently FreeBSD was installed on
> this machine in favor of NetBSD, and we are experiencing frequent machine
> hangs.  It appears the hangs are hardware related, as they also occurred in
> NetBSD.  Unfortunately what happens is the machine gets frozen on a vty,
> and does not go through a clean reboot.  Does anyone know of a diagnostic
> utility that could either constantly spew information to disk, or
> (preferably) across the net to a machine that's more stable so we can find
> out what's going on?  Any help whatsoever is appreciated; we really need to
> get the machine stable.  Thanks!

Infinite network copy:
rcp /dev/zero someremotehost:/someremotedir/someremotefile

Infinite disk copy:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/somedir/somefile

Could you go into gory details about what the hardware is so that I
might be able to spot something that might lay a hand on just what
it is that might be broken?