Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2006 15:51:50 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: possible patch for implementing split DNS

Julian Elischer wrote:
> Duane Whitty wrote:

>> Hi Julian,
>>
>> I'm no expert so I apologize in advance if I am wasting your time.
>>
>> I was just wondering if you could use the multiple views facility as
>> provided by Bind 9?  I'm currently using the technique to provide
>> different views of my network depending on whether access is coming
>> from an internal address or an external address.  Perhaps I am not
>> fully understanding the depth of the problem.

> I'm not an expert on bind 9 views, but I want two sibling processs to get
> different network views. can I do that on a freebsd6.1 machine using
> stock gethostbyname() from libc?

I waited to suggest this based on whatever additional information you
provided, but it sounds like this could work, with the condition that you be
able to identify the IP addresses (or better yet, ranges) that the different
categories of process will be assigned to in advance; or that you could
configure named.conf (or an include file) on the fly. And of course, all
THIS is presupposing that you can get both views (inside and outside) on the
same nameserver, that is available to both sets of processes.

So, not trivial, but could possibly solve your problem.

Doug