Date:      Tue, 6 Jul 1999 14:09:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      alan17@wizard.net
To:        Jeff.Bond@nectech.co.uk (Bond Jeffery)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to boot FreeBSD

According to Bond, Jeffery:

> Hi Alan,
>
> You say FreeBSD is on your second hard drive. Is this a slave on the primary
> interface, or a master on the secondary?
>
> If it's a secondary master, I guess the /etc/lilo.conf entry would point to
> /dev/hdc1 (in linux speak).
	Yes indeed.  It is a secondary master, and I believe my LILO entry
	works fine.

But all problems are not over.   :-(   When I boot my machine and enter
"bsd" at the LILO prompt, BSD certainly seems to be booting.  The screen
messages start with "Loading bsd . . . " and continue on, using a lot
of terminology that a 'umble Linuxian like meself cannot fathom.  But at
the end of the process, here are the lines that appear on the screen:
	changing root device to wd1s1a
	changing root device to wd1a
	error 6: panic: cannot mount root (2)
	syncing disks . . . done

and then I am offered the chance to reboot.

I actually went through the install process twice, and thought I did
the second time quite well.  I am willing to try again, but I'm hoping
that the Masters on this list can give me input on what to avoid, or
what to try for.  I installed with the "novice" method, and I put in
a lot of ports . ..  but I don't believe that any of that is causing
the kernel panic reflected in the messages above.

All help much appreciated, TIA!

Alan

--
Alan McConnell       I claim not to have controlled events, but confess
Pixel Analysis       plainly that events have controlled me.  (A. Lincoln)