Date:      23 Apr 1999 18:11:33 -0700
From:      cgd@netbsd.org (Chris G. Demetriou)
To:        Rich Payne <rdp@talisman.alphalinux.org>
Cc:        "Daniel J. Frasnelli" <dfrasnel@csee.wvu.edu>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Alpha List <alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: EBSDK discussion

Rich Payne <rdp@talisman.alphalinux.org> writes:
> Most systems can take either SRM and/or AlphaBIOS (or ARC for older
> systems). The only ones that can't are the 164PC (SX) and the
> DeskStation/Samsumg UX boards (that have their own ARCS BIOS).
> (I think I got that right).

of the modern ones, that may be correct.

Note, however, that unless i'm mistaken, a bunch of peple (at least
some NetBSD users, IIRC), have successfully put a version of SRM on
the SX boards.

the UX boards are, as far as i know, the only >=EV5 boards which you
can't put any kind of working SRM on.

> UX uses ARCS BIOS and the DP264 comes with both SRM and AlphaBIOS.

As an aside/addition to this, note that boards/systems which are
allegedly "NT only" may come with SRM, but not necessarily with SRM
capable of booting VMS or Digital UNIX (or whatever it's called today
8-).

An example is the Digital Server 330x boxes (white-box versions of the
blue-box AlphaServer 800 family).  They include SRM, but it's hacked
to keep DU from running.  NetBSD, and i presume Linux, however, will
work fine with that SRM.

cgd