Date:      Mon, 22 Dec 2003 12:17:48 -0500
From:      "Clarence Brown" <clabrown@granitepost.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: new 5.1 install network problem.

Thanks for the Reply:

I believe that the DNS timeout is a symptom rather than cause
of the problem, because I'm getting an 80% packet loss when
pinging the IP address of the DNS server. I'm running the DNS
servers, and they are on the same LAN.

resolv.conf is same on this machine as on other machines that
do work.

The LAN does have DHCP, but I assigned this FreeBSD
machine a static IP at an unused address in a range of addresses
that I have reserved for servers.

in rc.conf (the ip addresses are the values I expect):

defaultrouter="###.###.###.###"
hostname="fbsd04.fakeDOMAINname.com"
ifconfig_xl0="inet ###.###.###.### netmask ###.###.###.###"

in hosts, I had to add the correct domain to localhost, and add
entries for the machine's own name, but this didn't seem to help.

With further testing, still getting 60%-80% packet loss when trying
to ping IP address of other machines on network from problem
machine, but some DO get through. Other machines are getting
similar results when trying to ping the IP address of the problem machine.

Thanks again, Cla.