Date:      Tue, 01 Aug 2000 14:46:31 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        "Mark A. Hummel" <mhumm@ispchannel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: qcad port install failed.  Now what?

On 01-Aug-00 Mark A. Hummel wrote:
> I made some progress on the qcad port.  I downloaded the new port from
> the BSD site and did a make install.  Everything seems to go well
> although a bit slow until I realized that the tar ball was over 4 megs
> compressed.  Anyway, it finally errored out.
>
> From the attached text file.  It looks to me like I don't have enough
> disk space so, since I'm a newbie, I did some research.  I hit the book
> and keyword searches of the man pages.  I found df! How can a slice of
> my drive be more than 100%?
>
> The question is what should I do next?  I assume I either need to free
> up some disk space or expand one or more of my slices.
>
> Mark

Yep! You are short of space all right. The system reserves (when newfs-ing)
some 8% of the disk capacity for use by root and system processes so that
tha system will keep on going even though the disk is full. Normal users
can not add anything.

Freeing up space is the easiest - if you can:)

Or get another disk (of sufficient size) and put your entire /usr/home on
that one. vinum(8) can also be of use.

I also see your / is full. My guess is that /tmp is full. You could symlink
(ln(1) -s) /tmp to /usr/tmp, this will not save you any space but will stop
the system from filling up /tmp (as it will now go to /usr/tmp instead)

du(1) with -s and/or -x options are also useful for analyzing what is up.

/M
Michael Josefsson, MSEE
mj@isy.liu.se

This message was sent by XFMail