Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 1996 03:03:38 -0500
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, randyd@nconnect.net
Subject:   Re: Programming X

> Could someone recommend a good book or two on programming X, and even UNIX
> in general?  I have a fair knowlege of C and C++ but have spent most of my
> programming hours with Borland's OWL and Microsoft's MFC Windows libraries.
> I've accumulated way too many books already on Windows programming yet I'm
> sure I'll need at least a couple more to get a good reference.   I just want to
> avoid any unnecessary duplication of the basics.

You can get a lot of books from O'Reilly (http://www.ora.com) but might
want to try discount book stores such as ReadMeDotDoc and BookPool
(www.readmedotdoc.com and www.bookpool.com).

The man pages for all the X and Xt commands come with X11R6 so you don't
need the reference manuals (although I prefer having a book instead of
online manual pages in this instance).

  Xlib Programming Manual
  Xlib Reference Manual
  X Toolkit Intrinsics Programming Manual
  X Toolkit Intrinsics Reference Manual

and (no flames please), I'd suggest getting Motif for $149.00 from Xinside
for FreeBSD.  Then, you'll want the Motif manuals (same goes for the
Motif reference manual - you'll get the man pages with Motif):

  Motif Programming Manual
  Motif Reference Manual

also from O'Reilly.

For a good instructional book on Motif, Xt, and some Xlib, I recommend
Douglas Youngs:

  The X Window System - Programming and Applications with Xt (Motif Edition)
    (concentrates on using C)

  Object-Oriented Programming with C++ and OSF/Motif

I also recommend taking any X-windows programming course at a local
college of your choice.  I took one of those 1 credit courses and
have managed to get buy with only the first Doug Young book mentioned
above, and the reference manuals/man pages for Motif, Xt, and Xlib.
YMMV.

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org