Date:      Fri, 16 Jun 1995 15:51:04 +0800 (WST)
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@haywire.DIALix.COM>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   penalty of using off_t for arithmatic with gcc's long longs?

I was working on my backlog of patches for NN and I just came to ache's
set that he mailed me (via nn-bugs) Quite Some Time Ago(TM). (I'm
currently merging in the Tk X11 code)

One of the things that he did was to substitute many off_t's to longs.

Now that I think about it, I presume there's a performance penalty for using
off_t in general arithmatic..  Is this enough to worry about?

For example, the code that I inherited in nn uses off_t's quite
extensively for all sorts of things, including (for example) offsets of
article body text relative to the beginning of headers, and it's
scattered throughout other data structures.

I guess it's not too important to be able to read > 2GB news articles,
but is it worth trading this for speed?  How much is there to gain?  What
about the implicit casts with passing a smaller type to lseek()?

Basically, I'm trying to decide is it worth parameterising an "offset"
type?   Machines like alpha's etc are not going to be too fussed, because
off_t == long == 64 bits.

BTW: is this appropriate for hackers?  I dont know that it's appropriate
to "ports" because what I'm asking about is not specifically about
software in some /usr/ports area - it's a generic problem that happqens to
appear on freebsd and other 32bit 4.4Lite + gcc2 systems (including
netbsd).

Cheers,
-Peter