Date:      Thu, 23 Apr 1998 06:57:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Subject:   Re: A CAM of worms

On 16-Apr-98 Greg Lehey wrote:

> I agree.  Although I use CAM, and it works for me, and it seems a
> whole lot better than the old driver, it's not finished yet.  I
> currently have both the old and new drivers in my source tree.  If
> it's too much trouble to keep the old version after the new one has
> taken up its final place, maybe it should be left where it is at the
> moment (/sys/cam) until CAM can do everything the old driver could do.
> This would have the advantage for Justin that it's almost no work.

I am sorry to have joined this discussion so late.  I was on the road and
no access to the net for all this time.

My exceptions to the proposed plan:

*  No migration path;  The is no mechanism to migrate at all.  We need a
   way to have the same system boot either way.  We need a mechanism to
   maintain source for the old systems and switch back.

*  No migration guide; The is no documentation on the new mechanism, its
   interfeaces, requirements, etc.  I asked, several times, politely, and
   privately, for at least a list of functions, their intended purpose and
   the entry points into both HBA drivers and personality drivers.  The ``I
   do not have time'' answer is simply not enough.  If there is no time to
   list the API's maybe the code change should be held until there is time.

*  The idea of overnight obsolesence of all the existing SCSI code is a
   bit, shall we say, aggressive.  Although I have all the confidence in the
   world that the CAM code is wonderfully reliable, efficient and great,
   sone of us earthly mortals would like to have a chance to compile and run
   the two systems side by side, at least until the porting is done.

Simon