Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2007 09:18:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
To:        Gueven Bay <gueven.bay@googlemail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Menhir -the four-way distro with FBSD - is starting now

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007, Gueven Bay wrote:

> To build the knowledge following development projects are started in
> the Menhir project:
> * A document based on "BSD Associate Exam Objectives" will be written
> which guides every user in the use and administration of FreeBSD,
> NetBSD, Slackware and OpenSolaris.

BSD-licensed documentation covering the BSD Certification Group's
Associate (BSDA) Certification Requirements Document (also known as the
BSDA Exam Objectives) is available via http://bsdwiki.reedmedia.net/wiki/

You can use that to jump start your effort. (Or please consider joining
there and adding or improving the existing "bsdwiki book".)

> * The base systems of Slackware, FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenSolaris are
> ported to the pkgsrc format. After finishing this project everyone
> will be able to install the operating systems with their userland
> using the pkgsrc tools.

This sounds interesting. I did the same thing with my own "pkglinux"
distribution a few years ago and ran it for a couple years. I had pkgsrc
packages for Linux kernels, glibc, and all essential Linux components --
see the pkgsrc-wip project for most of this).

  Jeremy C. Reed