Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 1996 09:12:58 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        amora@obelix.cica.es (Jesus A. Mora Marin)
Cc:        fs@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: s5 filesys implementation?

> I am planning to implement support for s5 filesys, since I have a
> particular interest in this subject. But I'd hate to do an unnecessary
> work, so PLEASE let me know if any fellow is working already on this
> stuff, or if this has been done, in fact. I am very out of date: the
> last version I have is 2.2-960326SNAP -and waiting eagerly for the
> 2.1.5 CD-ROM!-, and there was no support for this oldie. TIA.

This is onmy list of "to do" items.  I was an engineer for Novell/USG
(USL) who worked on, among other things, kernel FS code.

The recent SCO offer (and the supposedly yet-to-come offer from them
on UnixWare) makes this a lot easier.

I have been waiting on the devfs so that I can code physical-to-logical
device translation drivers for SVR4/SCO partitioning and disklabelling
and treat the things as raw devices; this support, at least, is now
immanent.

If you are planning on working on FS code in the very near future,
then I'd say go ahead.  Otherwise, I hope the lanscape will be changing
pretty radically pretty soon -- if you have done enough FS work that
you can abstract framework components from implementation, then you
should be pretty safe for any long term projects that you want to
pursue.

You may want to consider holding off until the Lite2 integration has
been completed; since it changes some of the architecture.  I don't
think it;s safe to assume that the changes from that direction are
done either.

Your best bet would be to get in contact with David Greenman or John
Dyson, since they make architectural decisions, and the FS is one
place that will be hit (one way or the other) by almost all
architectural changes.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org