Date:      Tue, 6 Apr 2010 13:28:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      doug@safeport.com
To:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: csup vs cvs

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> doug@safeport.com writes:
>
>> Yesterday I was updating an 8.0 stable system to pick up a change I
>> specifically needed. The change was MFC'd Apr 4th at 11:38. I waited
>> until about 8PM and ran cvs from cvsup2.FreeBSD.org. When the change
>> was not there, I waited until Apr 5th, a bit after midnight. When I
>> still did not pick up the change, I updated from a cvs repository.
>>
>> My question is how are the mirrors updated (cvsup2 specifically I
>> guess). In general is using csup and cvs equivalent processes for non
>> developers?.
>
> Your message doesn't really make sense to me; I suspect you're confusing
> cvs with cvsup, but I'm not sure.  cvsup and csup are different
> implementations of the same functionality, and connect to the same
> servers, so they really won't be different (they are, in fact,
> interchangeable).  Anonymous CVS access is not widely used, and is
> really recommended only for experts.  Different hubs update on different
> schedules, but official ones are recommended to update hourly.

First thank you for responding to an obviously badly worded question. I think my
understanding exceeds my ability to explain my question. So I will be very
specific about what I wanted.

A change was MFC'd to the xorg intel driver to include support for the new
chipsets. I took the fact that I could see the change on the web: