Date:      Sun, 20 May 2018 08:13:52 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>
To:        Tijl Coosemans <tijl@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: [RFC] Deprecation and removal of the drm2 driver

In message <20180520155229.73447c1c@kalimero.tijl.coosemans.org>, Tijl
Cooseman
s writes:
> On Fri, 18 May 2018 14:03:32 -0600 Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
> > So do people use i386 for desktop? And need the latest KMS stuff?
>
> I use radeonkms on i386.  But what about other architectures like powerpc?
>
> If it's getting in the way, can't it be turned into a port instead of
> removing it? (All parts of FreeBSD should be available as ports imho.)

Yes, I think this is the way out. First create a port while
implementing a knob in base to disable drm2 build, with deprecation
notice for those who choose to. After a month or two remove drm2. That
should give enough time for those on -CURRENT who choose, to make the
switch.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>