Date:       Fri, 18 Aug 2000 15:03:55 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>, Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        Jason T <luser@ahab.com>, Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>, FreeBSD stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: remove empty TEMPROOT dirs at mergemaster's end? (was: cvs commit: src/usr.sbin/mergemaster mergemaster.sh)

On 2000-Aug-17 23:26:16 -0400, Jason T <luser@ahab.com> wrote:
>I think I can clarify.  If mergemaster leaves ANY files behind, it also leave
>the subdirectories, even the empty ones.  The request is to have empty
>subdirectories (of ${TEMPROOT}) removed automatically.  This benefits anyone,
>experienced or novice, who leaves some files behind for more deliberate
>examination after mergemaster.

Sounds useful.  The other thing would be to delete the empty files which
get generated by mtree.

And whilst we're discussion wishlists for mergemaster:  I recently
discovered that it is only capable of merging into the current root
directory.  I have a system that I can dual-boot between different
versions of FreeBSD - useful when the world compiles but doesn't
work - wanted to run mergemaster into the `inactive' root partition.

I have now patched mergemaster so that you can specify a DESTDIR.
This works for everything except the XXX_mkdb commands.  Would you
be interested in patches?

Peter