Date:      Mon, 25 May 1998 00:28:02 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "John Saunders" <john.saunders@scitec.com.au>
Cc:        "Mike Smith" <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, "Dan Swartzendruber" <dswartz@druber.com>
Subject:   Re: make buildworld/installworld question

> >> I've done 'make world' in both single user mode and multi user
> >> .. One thing to watch is that the /usr/libexec/ld.so file gets
> >> updated. The last time I did 'make world' in multi user mode it
> >> didn't. I tend to 'ls -lt' in the standard directories to check
> >> on what didn't get updated.
> >
> >ld.so is installed using '-C', so if the new version is the same as the
> >old one, it's not changed.  It's debatable as to whether the use of -C
> >is justifiable (it's not a performance improvement, and it makes the
> >use of timestamps for identifying stale files unworkable).
>
> The timestamp first caused me to notice the file. Upon closer
> inspection the size between old and new was different, 69K vs 70K
> if memory serves (I did check stripped sizes). So if install
> really does work around the file being in use then something else
> must have failed. I must admit it has only happened once as I do
> check the timestamps after every 'make world'.

Sounds pretty bogus to me.  If the compare fails and the new version is
installed, and the install fails, installworld should stop at that
point.

> Do the include files get installed with -C as well? Until I did
> a 'make -DCLOBBER includes' I had timestamps from Oct 22 (which
> appears to be the 2.2.5-RELEASE build date) for most of my
> include files.

See /usr/src/includes/Makefile.  Yes.

> >The 'installworld' target is almost always successful without any help.
>
> I like the words "almost always", I use them a lot myself :)

Just like "should".

Note that the build process in -stable has been relatively unchanged
for quite a while.  Bruce tunes the -current process, but doesn't bring
anything back.  What does come back is usually the work of others, and
often only deals with critical problems.