Date:      Mon, 07 Oct 1996 13:34:10 +0000
From:      "A.P.Ivanov" <ivanov@nfsun1.jinr.dubna.su>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: amd and reserved port trouble

af@biomath.jussieu.fr wrote:

> A.P.Ivanov wrote / a ecrit:
> >
> > Hi,everybody!
> >
> > I have problem automounting Suns exported NFS directories.
> > Seems there is no options like -P for amd (like in mount).
> > So is there is a way to resolve this. I compiled the lates
> > amd (amdupl102) but the problem remains.
> >

> Can you elaborate ? I am using amd to automount  filesystems  exported
> by all sorts of machines, including SunOS 4.1.3 and 5.3. No problem so
> far. Note that on the Sun boxes, rpc.mountd runs with -n option.  That
> might be the reason (and the dirty fix ?). We did that because of  our
> Ultrix clients having problems otherwise.

   The problem is that our Sun's (SunOS 4.1.4) sysadmin don't want
to run rpc.mountd -n. But besides I recently switched from Linux
where I had the same version of amd compiled and running without
any problems (it uses ports<1024 for mounting). I'm not a Unix
guru, but it seems that kernel doesn't allow amd process to use
ports<1024. Or may be I misunderstand smth? Is it curable?
  Best wishes.