Date:      Tue, 5 Jul 2011 10:48:28 +0300
From:      Achilleas Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and controlling an alarm via relay

=CE=A3=CF=84=CE=B9=CF=82 Tuesday 05 July 2011 04:32:51 =CE=B3=CF=81=CE=AC=
=CF=88=CE=B1=CF=84=CE=B5:
> On Jul 4, 2011, at 7:39 AM, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
> > Hello, sorry for the cross-post but i believe this question might seat =
in both lists.
> > I am the guy who had the done the old 1.23.3 zoneminder port some years=
 ago, and i am thinking of installing/testing
> > the new 1.24.4 port, submitted by bsam@FreeBSD.org.
> > Besides the basic functions, i am thinking of re-using some old techniq=
ues by which i controlled=20
> > the home alarm via a NC/NO circuit (basically it was an enhanced door c=
ontact),=20
> > driven by an old zyXel modem,  which in turn was driven by a small perl=
 program driving the com port, and=20
> > which was called by a deamon reading zoneminder shared memory info dire=
ctly.
> > That way i could trigger the alarm system getting into alarm state, whe=
never zoneminder detected motion,
> > in a fully controlled and programmatic way.
> >=20
> > Now i am thinking of re-doing this, a little bit more modern, if possib=
le. I was thinking of some relay board
> > (instead of the old modem), possibly ethernet controlled (to get rid of=
 all the obsolete com port programming),
> > and such. Also i will scrap the old NO/NC solution (circuit embded in t=
he door contact), and i wil use instead a new=20
> > dedicated wireless transimter i bought (same brand as the alarm system)=
, which is also NC/NO and receives
> > two inputs and corresponds to two zones. So i am thinking of assigning =
2 cameras as two disctinct zones
> > in the alarm system.
> >=20
> > That is the rough idea. What would you guys have to recommend (regardin=
g the relay?). I do not plan to use
> > this relay for power/lights on/off and such, at this stage it will func=
tion solely to drive the alarm transimtter,
> > (which in turn will drigger an alarm to the central alarm control panel)
>=20
> If you want to go ethernet -> gpio, i think the routerstation (or routers=
tation pro) is one good option. The routerstation (not the pro version) wor=
ks with 12v~24v (12v is kind common for alarm systems) and has 7 available =
GPIO pins (which works as inputs and outputs - you can connect relays, swit=
ches, leds, lcds, i2c and spi devices).
>=20
> GPIO pins can be easily controlled from userland with gpioctl(8) or with =
a small C program with the appropriate ioctl()s (or even using the led(4) f=
ramework).
>=20
> Please take a look at http://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/mips/UBNT-RouterSta=
tion for more detailed information.
>=20
> Both boards works _really_ fine with -current.
>=20

Hello, thanx,
i see there is nothing GPIO related in 8.2, grep -i gpio /usr/src/sys/ yiel=
ds nothing.
Also, i was looking for an actual relay that could drive this simple wirele=
ss transmitter :
http://www.visonic.com/Products/Wireless-Property-Protection/Universal-tran=
smitter-mct-100
http://www.visonic.com/Data/Uploads/MCT_100_Installer_Guide_English_DE2241U=
=2Epdf (installation manual)
So what i wanna do is simple, sent some command to a relay which will open =
a normally closed or
close a normally open circuit in the above transmitter, and trigger an alar=
m.

> Cheers,
> Luiz

=2D-=20