Date:      Thu, 13 May 1999 16:02:42 -0700
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        Cliff Skolnick <cliff@steam.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: deadlock problem related to MFS & paging?

On May 13,  2:36pm, Cliff Skolnick wrote:
} Subject: deadlock problem related to MFS & paging?
}
} >From an offlist email exchange with Cy, it seem that Cy and myself are both
} mounting /tmp with mount_mfs. We are also both locking up when the system is
} doing IO in general, paging, and lots of I/O to /tmp.  I'm wondering if
} there is an interaction with the MFS code.
}
} I hope this is the case, and that removing the mount_mfs will stop the
} lockups.  This would explain why more people are not having the same
} problem.
}
} Is anyone having these deadlocks not running MFS?

Our news server wedged a couple days ago after running for a couple
weeks.  The code dated from about May 1, which was before the latest
fix (attempt?).  We are not using MFS on that machine.  In our case,
it was not a total lockup.  There were three processes stuck in the
inode state (syncer, innd, and *grep*).

Before the May 1 software upgrade, we were running an old version of
3.0 from late last year.  It was completely stable and had months of
uptime.  In addition to upgrading to more current code, we also started
using vinum.