Date:      Wed, 22 Oct 1997 11:13:43 -0500
From:      Alex Weeks <Alex_Weeks@capitalland.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Strange (automated) HTTP access from FreeBSD

I am using a FreeBSD machine for DNS, and routing (between internal
networks).  This machine sits between our LAN and our router to the
Internet.  That's two routers, one (FreeBSD) for internal traffic between
subnets and one out to the Internet.

On our LAN we have an NT Web server running O'Reaily Website Pro.  One of
the pages that this NT server serves displays banner advertising.  It's
important for the department that runs this Web server to know exactly how
many hits each banner gets because they charge for the service.

This Web server does not reside on the same physical (or logical) network
as the Internet router, so external traffic destined for this Web server
must travel from the Internet, through our Internet router, then through
the FreeBSD machine (to hop networks) then to the Web server.

The problem:  The http logs for the Web page and the logs for the banner
advertising software show hits (lot of them) from our FreeBSD router/DNS
machine.  Obviously the traffic headed to this NT server travels through
the FreeBSD box, but why does the traffic appear to originate from the
FreeBSD box?  (If that's what is happening. Read further).

Secondly, the guy in charge of that Web server says that he has a pretty
good feel for his high traffic times and he feels that the FreeBSD box is
doing this on it's own.  In other words, this is not traffic that is being
forwarded from outside our LAN and not traffic forwarded from one network
to the other.  I sort of agree with him, we are getting a lot of traffic
from the FreeBSD machine in the early morning hours, but almost no traffic
traveling through the router.  And no one is here in the offices at that
time.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Alex Weeks