Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 1999 11:49:36 +0100 (CET)
From:      Arjan van der Oest <arjan@nl.demon.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD and Perl

Hi,

We used to run our webservers on NetBSD but recently changed over to
FreeBSD 3.3r. We've seen a lot of perl scripts break becase they start
with the first line : #!/bin/perl -- -*-perl-*-

NetBSD seemed to pass this as a single argument to the interpreter and
perl ignored it. FreeBSD now seems to pass this line as two arguments to
the interpreter, braking the script because it tries to open script
-*-perl-*-.

Besides the fact that I see no use of inserting "-- -*-perl-*-" in the
scripts, does anyone recognises this problem ? How did you deal with this?
We've got a lot of customers who use standard scripts and this line
appears in a lot of examples/books/pre-written script, thus causing lots
of people calling tech support.

This problem applies afaik for different versions of perl.

ao
--
arjan van der oest - systems administrator - arjan@nl.demon.net
Demon Internet NOC, Amsterdam.                     www.demon.nl