Date:      Fri, 14 Sep 2012 19:58:14 -0500
From:      Bryan Drewery <bryan@shatow.net>
To:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need a reality check: "portmaster --list-origins" misses entries?

On 9/14/2012 5:38 PM, David Wolfskill wrote:
> I am tentatively planning on rebuilding the installed ports on my laptop
> under stable/9 (vs. their current stable/8) on Sunday, to take advantage
> of several hours of travel time expected.
>
> In preparation for this, I was reviewing the steps listed at the end of
> portmaster(8) "Using portmaster to do a complete reinstallation of all
> your ports" (which I have used to good effect in the past -- e.g., in
> the migration from 7-STABLE to 8-STABLE).
>
> As a reality check, I created the output of "portmaster --list-origins",
> with the intent to re-order the entries (and remove several that were
> brought in merely as dependencies -- and that I'd happily do without,
> were it feasible).
>
> I was thus surprised to fail to find "subversion" listed; a further
> reality check showed that the output was (only) 181 lines long; compare:
>
> d134(9.1-P)[8] portmaster --list-origins | wc -l
>      181

IIUC this is the list of all ports that are not required by another
port. So 'subversion' is being required by another port. Assuming you
also copy your /var/db/options over to the new machine, and install
every port listed in '--list-origins', you should end up with the same
796 ports installed as those 181 will install all of the other ports.

--
Regards,
Bryan Drewery