Date:      Tue, 10 Mar 1998 19:42:03 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        tom@uniserve.com (Tom)
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com, jak@cetlink.net, karl@mcs.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Someone needs to re-develop "Softupdates"

> > > It's amazing how some of the same people who decry commercializing
> > > FreeBSD with donor control of funding have no objection to Kirk's
> > > commercial hooks.
> >
> > Sad isn't it....
> >
> > > Score 1 for the GPL.

[ ... ]

> > Basically, this commercial entity is giving some of it's work to
> > FreeBSD, and making it 'easier' for Kirk to get money since other
> > 'commercial' entities who want to use Kirk's work have everything but
> > the legal license.
>
>   More are benefiting that just Kirk (money) and Whistle (not having to
> re-integrate changes).

Score 1 for the UCBL.

I think the ongoing maintenance issues are as big an incentive to
donate to free software projects, and keep the code free, as any
draconian licensing restrictions about how you can utilize (as
opposed to use) the software.

Free by choice, in other words.

"Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither"
					-- Benjamin Franklin

> > Sort of a 'big carrot' dangling out in front that they can't legally
> > obtain.
>
>   According to my understanding of Kirk's message(s), all commercial
> entities have to do is step up and buy a license, and they can use
> SoftUpdates too.

And don't forget that Jordan's work is funded, as is Mike Smith's,
as is John Dyson's, etc..

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---