Date:      Mon, 28 Feb 2000 01:25:42 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@ppp-207-193-186-1.kscymo.swbell.net>
To:        karsten@rohrbach.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: idea: official hardware manufacturer blacklist - let's wake em up!

In reply:
> ok guys, here's just a little idea on how to get the hardware
> manufacturer guys a little bit more responsive (in fact, i got somehow
> "inspired" by the alsa sound project guys because they got something
> similar)...
>
> let's put up a list of hardware manufacturers that do not answer our
> mails, that do not hear our pleas for driver development, that simply do
> not react. then we might publish a link to this thing on the freebsd.org

Why not?

One or two people calling a week doesn't attract that much attention
within these companies.

Maybe a list of manufacturers dealing exclusively with Gates would.

I have some to add if this ever comes to pass.

If we can make this a joint FreeBSD/Linux list, we can get even more
media attention to this issue, this would be a good truce issue with
the linux folks.

We all know by now how MickeySoft does it's vendor deals, it's been
well publicised, and it doesn't take rocket science to guess that they
are playing dirty.

Making such a list could open things up back to the old days when
anyone could obtain register-level programming info on any card they
wanted to.

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you    |  "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid  |  briefed, debriefed, indexed, or