Date:      Wed, 7 Jul 1999 15:44:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jamie Howard <howardjp@wam.umd.edu>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Repalcement for grep(1)

On 7 Jul 1999, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> Jamie Howard <howardjp@wam.umd.edu> writes:
> > On Sun, 4 Jul 1999, Archie Cobbs wrote:
> > >        There are two special cases- of bracket  expressions:  the
> > >        bracket expressions `[[:<:]]' and `[[:>:]]' match the null
> > >        string at the beginning and end of a word respectively.
> > > Perhaps this will help with -w?
> > Yes, I received a patch from Simon Burge which implements this.  It also
> > beats using [^A-Za-z] and [A-Za-z$] as I was and GNU grep does.
>
> No, because there are scripts out there (e.g. ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk)
> which rely on this behaviour.

I just knocked this down to just freebsd-hackers because this only applies
here (so far).

I am not the internationalization expert, but doesn't [^A-Za-z] and
[A-Xa-z$] limit you to just English and other Roman languages?  Won't
[[:<:]] and [[:>:]] be languages independent, presuming regex supports
it?

Jamie