Date:      Mon, 21 Apr 2003 00:50:52 -0500
From:      Dan Williams <dan@bigw.org>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.0-RELEASE disklabel install problems, drive not seen

Hi,

Update to previous post.  I booted to SRM console and did a
"isp1020_edit -sd" to reset the NVRAM of the chip, and now it is valid.
  After doing this, I stuck in both the 2.1GB and the Atlas 9GB SBB
carriers, and tried to boot both the 5.0-RELEASE install CD and the 4.7
mini ISO.

Results:
1)  4.7:  Unlike previously, the 4.7 mini ISO has _no_ problem seeing
the 9GB drive.  Also does not error out when waiting for SCSI devices
to settle like it used to, before resetting the isp1020 NVRAM.  Works
fine.

2)  5.0:  NO CHANGE.  It still cannot see the 9GB drive.  When I choose
Custom->Label, ONLY the 2.1GB drive shows up, and the 9GB is nowhere to
be seen.  When I choose the step-by-step beginner method of install, I
see two disks available, both da0 (?) and da1 (?) (may be getting the
names wrong but there are 2), but when I select the second, da1, the
disklabel program appears and there is _no_ disk at the top from which
to create partitions.  Its simply not there.

Help?

Thanks,
Dan