Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 17:14:57 +1000
From:      Nick Slager <nicks@albury.net.au>
To:        Some Person <ntvsunix@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unreal Tournament Server on FreeBSD...

Thus spake Some Person (ntvsunix@hotmail.com):

> Weird question, but I'm not asking for help on how to set it up as I've
> already found the info on that. I was just wondering, what type of system
> would be required (hardware wise) to run a dedicated UT server? Nothing
> else, other than UT serving.
>
> It would be on an ADSL line, maybe 10 users? P166MMX 64/96 Meg RAM. X is
> completly optional for me (unless it's need for UT server, not sure yet) and
> I wouldn't even run anything really other than UT server on it.

We found UT to be roughly comparable to the dedicated Quake III server
running under linux emulation.

I used to run the Q3A server, X, enlightenment and 10 or so xterms on my
notebook: Celeron 366, 64Mb RAM. With 7 or 8 people playing on the server, and
me doing other work, load averages were consistently around 0.6-0.7. It did
start to groan slightly when I fired up Netscape, but Netscape's big and a
memory hog.

Try that on micros~1 :-)

> If so, would it be slow and/or what would be better, 3.4-stable or
> 4.0-stable for this?

Our live Q3A/UT server runs 3.4-stable, and we haven't had any issues. No
production experience with 4.0 and UT.

Regards,

Nick.