Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 2010 22:49:40 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which version of FreeBSD is it?

=D0=90=D0=BD=D1=82=D0=BE=D0=BD =D0=9A=D0=BB=D0=B5=D1=81=D1=81 wrote:
> That is what I suspected for.
>=20
> What is the most safe way to upgrade it, remembering that this is produ=
ction
> server and I have to keep it working properly?
>=20
> 6.2-RC1 -> 6.2 RELEASE -> 7.2 RELEASE -> 8.0 RELEASE, or somehow in thi=
> style?

Depending on what your requirements for "production" might be and how=20
good know FreeBSD, this is a good enough path. The officially=20
recommended one also includes 6.4, but if the configuration is simple=20
enough (no fancy partitioning, no software RAID), you could simply skip=20
from 6.2RC1 all the way to 8.0 if you know what you are doing.

Regardless, you will need to upgrade all of the installed ports (you can =

do it at the end, no need to upgrade every time).

In any case, don't do it remotely (without access to a physical=20
console), this is a long upgrade path for it to simply work the first=20
time. As others said, you can recover FreeBSD from practically any=20
disaster involving such an upgrade, but it won't necessarily be easy.