Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 09:18:33 -0500
From:      "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Peter B <pb@ludd.luth.se>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mpeg4 under FreeBSD p2

Peter B wrote:

> I have tried some mpeg4/divx playing on a P-III/800 MHz, 128 MB ram,
> NVidia Geforce2. FreeBSD 4.2 + XFree v4.0.2, And here are some results:
>
> It turns out that 'top' idle is not going below 45% at any single instance.
> Thus P-III 440 MHz should be enough?
> Resizing the movie screen does not affect the cpu load any significantly.
>
> Switching to 32 bpp, and renice'ing the avifile process seems to help avoiding
> involuntary "pauses".
>
> FreeBSD avifile can be found at (which I got mailed to me):
>   http://www.ludd.luth.se/~pb/avifile-0.53.1_2.tgz
>
> The freebsd version has a tendency to "segmentation fault" to often. So I tried
> the linux player. And that seems to work more reliable.
>
> Anyone knows how much influence the graphics card acceleration has on the cpu
> load?

Well on my PII-400 with a Matrox G200 on XFree 4.0.2, I can get avifile
(from the ports,
I don't get the crashing problem you apparently have) to play Mpeg4
files fullscreen
flawlessly, although it takes a good chunck of CPU time.  The player
will start to
skip if I run a disk and cpu intensive task in the background (pan
decoding large files
for instance).  Also, some of the non-Mpeg4 codecs in avifile don't seem
to play right,
however all of those codecs are supported by xanim now.

--
  / \/ \  | ||_ _||  _ \|___| | Jason Andresen -- jandrese@mitre.org